10. Gary Ridway. United States. 1982 to 2000. proven victims: 49
Truck painter who confessed to killing 71 women. The United States' most prolific serial killer; also known as the green river killer. He almost exclusively targeted sex workers from Seattle. Suspected of killing over 90 victims, confessed to 71, convicted of 49.
9. Anatoly Onoprienko. Ukraine. 1989 to 1996. proven victims: 52
Known as "The Beast of Ukraine", "The Terminator" and "Citizen O". Convicted of the murders of 9 people in 1989 and 43 people in 1995–1996. Sentenced to death, later commuted to life. Traveled through Europe illegally from 1990 to 1995; whether he killed during this time is unknown.
8. Andrei Chikatilo. Russian SFSR (Ukraine today). 1978 to 1990. proven victims: 53
Known as Butcher of Rostov, The Red Ripper or The Rostov Ripper. Convicted of the murder of 53 women and children between 1978 and 1990. Executed in 1994. One man was previously convicted and executed for his first murder.
7. Abul Djabar. Afghanistan. 1970 and earlier. proven victims: 65
6. Yang Xinhai. China. 2000 to 2003. proven victims: 67
5. Kampatimar Shankariya. India. 1977 to 1978. proven victims: 70
4. Pedro Rodrigues Filho. Brazil. 1967 to 2003. proven victims: 71
Convicted and sentenced to 128 years, but the maximum one can serve in Brazil is 30 years. He has claimed to have killed over 100 victims, 47 of them inmates. He also killed his father and ate a piece of his heart. He killed his first two victims at the age of 14; he was first arrested in 1973.
3. Daniel Camargo. Colombia. 1974 to 1986. proven victims: 72
Child-murderer, believed to have possibly raped and killed over 150 victims, primarily young virgin girls. Confessed to killing 72 victims, and incarcerated with Pedro Alonso Lopez.Considered to be intelligent, and believed to have been motivated to kill from his stepmother abusing him as a child. He strangled young girls in Colombia and was arrested, but he escaped from prison and he started killing in Ecuador; rearrested in 1989, he was killed in jail.
2. Pedro Alonso Lopez. Colombia. 1969 to 1980. proven victims: 110
Child-murderer and rapist, known as "The Monster of the Andes". Targeted young girls, between the ages of 8 and 12. Arrested in 1980 and convicted in 1983 of killing 110 young girls but confessed to killing 300, exact total unknown. Though he may be the most prolific serial killer of the 20th century, he was released in 1998. Current whereabouts unknown.
1. Luis Garavito. Colombia. 1990s. proven victims: 138
Child-murderer, torture-killer, and rapist known as ”La Bestia” (“The Beast"). Confessed to killing 140 children over a 5-year period in Colombia. He is suspected of murdering over 400 victims, mostly street children.